We are a congregation in Redlands, CA with a deep appreciation for music that offers an opportunity to work with a talented, engaged choir of 30+ members.
The Congregation: Redlands United Church of Christ is a healthy, loving, open-and-affirming progressive congregation that has been serving the Redlands Community for almost 50 years.
- Our Choir is a dedicated group who love music, who are always willing to expand their musical knowledge and skills.
- We seek a Director of Music who will collaborate well with our Senior Minister, our Associate Music Director and other church staff and lay leaders.
The Position: Director of Music
- We offer a starting hourly pay of $32.00 per hour.
- The position will be quarter-time (10 hours per week).
- The Director of Music reports directly to the Senior Minister. Duties are carried out in consultation with the Senior Minister, the Associate Music Director (who performs as pianist and accompanist) and the Worship Area Leader. The Senior Minister, in partnership with the Personnel Committee, oversees the annual performance evaluation of the Director of Music.
- Sufficient musical proficiency to conduct choirs performing a wide range of choral music.
- Thorough knowledge of liturgical music, both traditional and contemporary.
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of choral directing.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with all members of the church staff, the Associate Music Director, choir members and congregation.
- Ability to teach vocal and choral techniques and performance skills while working with a wide range of skill and age levels.
- Coordinates all aspects of the music ministries at Redlands United Church of Christ.
- Plans, organizes, prepares, and conducts the choral portions of the Sunday services, special services and music programs.
- Works collaboratively with the Senior Minister and Associate Music Director to select music for church functions including worship services and special music programs.
- Recruits new choir members from the community and the congregation.
- Trains and directs the church choir to increase their musical skills and to enhance the congregation’s worship of God.
- Plans, selects music for, organizes and conducts weekly and some extra choir rehearsals during the choir year.
- Recruits instrumentalists from within the congregation and community for occasional performance.
- Directs or supervises direction of bell choir, recruiting members as needed.
- Plans music for summer months when choir is not performing and for special events, to include scheduling, music selection and occasionally hiring performers as needed.
- Maintains and improves the scope and quality of the choral music library and oversees volunteers assisting in the music library.
- Arranges for guest vocalists and instrumentalists as needed and within budget.
- Oversees maintenance of organ and piano.
- Attends staff and other meetings as appropriate.
- Arranges for substitute for any absences.
- Performs other duties as required.
The Location: Redlands United Church of Christ is located in Redlands, CA. Our proximity to the University of Redlands is a tremendous resource, as many of our members are on the faculty of the university.
Please send your CV and/or resume to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply for the position.